With autumn comes halloween, and around this time I always buy at least one pumpkin spice candle, even though they are expensive, and even though they are usually full of chemicals, the scent brings me to fall like nothing else. This year I wondered if there is any other way to do it, so I did a little google searching and came across this link:
How to Make the House Smell like Pumpkin Spice
Pumpkin Spice Scent
Pumpkin pie spice (or nutmeg, cloves, ginger)
1. Fill a sauce pan with water and set it on the stove. Turn the heat on high so the water will boil.
2. Add 2 tablespoons ground pumpkin pie spice to the water. If not available, add 1 tablespoon each of nutmeg, cloves and ginger to create pumpkin pie spice yourself.
3. Place 2 to 4 fresh cinnamon sticks into the water.
4. Pour 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract into the boiling mixture. Turn the heat down to simmer once it has reached the boiling point.
5. Simmer the ingredients for an hour to freshen your home with the scent of pumpkin pie spices.
We tried it and it worked as well as a candle. It made the kitchen smell good. The scent kinda sneaks up on you. So if you leave the room and come back you really notice the great autumn aroma!
On a side note, here are the only two pumpkins that came out of our little garden this year!